A Sapulpa woman was recently faced with a copperhead snake, shining the spotlight on snake safety in the area. Urban Jungle Wildlife Removal was proud to help educate news listeners about the dangers of venomous snakes, and we want to continue to support our community by spreading the message about snake safety.

Common venomous snakes in Oklahoma include rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and copperheads. Copperheads are the most common snakes to cause bites. These snakes are about 2 to 3 feet long and are pit vipers, meaning they strike by detecting the heat produced by their prey.

Can You Survive a Copperhead Bite Without Treatment?

Copperheads are venomous, but their venom is relatively mild compared to other venomous snakes. Bites are not usually life-threatening, but if bitten you should always seek medical attention. These snakes produce hemotoxic venom, which affects the immediate area around the bite and causes painful but usually temporary tissue damage.

You will still want to get medical attention immediately if you have been bitten by a snake, whether that snake is a copperhead or not. Children, older adults and those with weakened immune systems can react more strongly to snake bites, and even healthy adults can have a negative reaction.

How Deadly Is a Copperhead Snake and What Should You Do if Bitten?

While a copperhead is generally not considered deadly, especially with proper treatment, its bite will hurt. Here are some do’s for dealing with any snake bite:

  • Stay calm: Try to stay still and lower the part of the body that was bitten below heart level. This will limit how much the venom travels through the body.
  • Remove any restrictive clothing or jewelry from the bitten area: The affected area will begin to swell, and you’ll want to provide room for that to happen.
  • Get medical help immediately: Contact 911, go to an emergency room or call the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for help.
  • Remember what the snake looked like: Try to get a picture of the snake if you can do so without putting yourself in harm’s way. Knowing what venom you were exposed to can help medical professionals administer the right treatment.

If you have been bitten by a copperhead or any of the venomous snakes in Tulsa, Oklahoma, here are a few don’ts to keep in mind:

  • Don’t suck the venom out: Cutting or sucking the venom out only increases the chances of infection or damage.
  • Do NOT use a tourniquet: Restricting the blood flow can increase the tissue damage and may increase your chances of amputation.
  • Don’t drink alcohol: Drinking can cause the venom to spread more quickly through your body.

Copperhead Snake Safety in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Since residents of Tulsa share their city with copperheads and other snakes, we need to take precautions to avoid getting bitten. One way to do so is to avoid sharing your property with snakes. If you suspect you may have copperheads in your home or on your property, contact us to speak to a wildlife removal specialist today.